TLC has canceled the truth show “Counting On” following Josh Duggar’s indictment on kiddie porn charges earlier this year. The network’s vice chairman of publicity Nikki Lichterman confirmed to USA TODAY Tuesday that TLC won’t produce additional seasons of series, which began in 2015. “TLC feels it’s important to offer the Duggar family the chance to deal with their situation privately,” Lichterman added.
The Duggar family rose to fame with the TLC show “19 Kids and Counting,” which chronicled the private lives of Arkansas parents Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar and their children. TLC canceled “19 Kids and Counting” in 2015 following a sexual assault scandal involving the couple’s eldest son Josh, who later also admitted to porn addiction and cheating on his wife Anna. The series’ spin-off “Counting On” featured storylines that specialize in Josh’s sisters and their young families.
Josh’s sister Jinger Duggar Vuolo and her husband Jeremy Vuolo said during a statement Tuesday that they’re “grateful” for the series, but “wholeheartedly agree” it should end. “It’s been an interesting journey that has opened doors to traveling and experiencing the planet in a way that we wouldn’t have imagined possible,” the couple wrote during a statement posted to their respective Instagram accounts.
“We wholeheartedly accept as true with TLC’s decision to not renew ‘Counting On’ and are excited for subsequent chapter in our lives,” the statement continued. “We’d wish to thank our fans, friends, and therefore the amazing film crew who have shown us love and support.” The cancellation announcement of “Counting On” comes an equivalent day a judge ordered to postpone Duggar’s trial to Nov. 30.
In April, a federal jury within the Western District of Arkansas indicted Duggar, alleging that in 2019 he knowingly received images of youngsters under the age of 12. the previous TLC star has been charged on two counts concerning kiddie porn. Duggar’s attorneys – Justin Gelfand, Travis Story, and Greg Payne – said during a joint statement at the time that their client has pled acquitted to both charges and plans to “fight back within the courtroom.” consistent with a handout from our Attorney’s Office, Duggar could confront to twenty years in prison and fines up to $250,000 on each count. “Duggar allegedly possessed this material, a number of which depicts the sexual assault of youngsters,” the handout said.
The case is being prosecuted partially by the national initiative Project Safe Childhood, a program started in 2006 by the Department of Justice to guard children against sexual exploitation and abuse. Less than every week before his arrest, Duggar’s wife announced on Instagram that she is pregnant with their seventh child, a daughter. Duggar was never charged after an anonymous tip spurred an investigation into his alleged fondling of 5 girls in 2002 and 2003. He acknowledged wrongdoing during a statement after news reports were published in 2015. His parents and two of his sisters later confirmed the actions.